Thursday, July 29, 2010

T-shirt Undies and comparison to RTW


My sister turns her old t-shirts into rags. I turn mine into undies, shorts and bras for the girls. They don't turn out cute because I don't have cutsie t-shirts. But I'm going after function anyway. I did consider letting Naiobi draw on them with fabric markers but she wore them before I got a chance to offer that to her.

The pattern above is That Darn Kat's Children's Undies pdf pattern. I don't see the pattern on her blog but you can get it from Pink Chalk Fabrics. This is the first time I make these although I've had the pattern for at least a year now. I would say these did not sew up quickly for me. Keeping the cotton/lycra bands folded in half, even after I ironed them so, was too fidgety for me. I sew elastic on much faster. One thing I didn't quite get, were the curved seams in the front where the panty is joined. I could not get them to fit well together. I had to stretch the front piece a LOT to get it to reach the side piece. I don't understand why it's not just 2 straight lines. I started out using just a straight stitch, but when she put them on, the stitching busted. I had to go back and use the straight stretch stitch. Of course, that won't be a problem if you use a serger. The dark green pair is topstitched as suggested, but I found it to be unnecessary.

Naiobi made a face when she first saw them but she didn't give me one complaint about them once she wore them. She says they're comfortable and she likes that they cover her crotch. I'll compare them below. Here's how they look on. Ignore the little hole. These were made without a serger.





You can tell how the fit is affected by the type of fabric used. The dark green ones are cotton/lycra and they fit more snugly. The light green ones are just a cotton ribbing, looser. I think she likes those better.

Next up, my staple undie pattern: Ottobre, Winter 2004. I've placed them next to the other one's for comparison. The crotch width is comparable. You can see here what I'm talking about where the seams are joined in the front. The Ottobre pattern is has the straight seam. In terms of wearability, I don't think adding the curved seam makes any difference.





And here is why Naiobi prefers the undies I make her. Granted, not all panties are made this way. The Fruit of the Loom and Hanes girls' panties both have a very good fit in the crotch area. I can't remember where I got these particular RTW ones. I think it was either at Macy's or JC Penney's. She HATES these underwear. The crotch is just too narrow and they don't feel comfortable to her. She never wears dresses or skirts without shorts underneath, but these would not provide much coverage for those little girls who do. You can see in the pictures above that the ones I made fit well below the belly button. The RTW ones are even lower than that! Mommy likes handmade better for that reason too.


Omari didn't want her face in the picture. The bra is from Jalie 2564. These are super easy to make. I didn't use any pattern for the shorts. Just used something she already had to cut them out. These were from an extra large t-shirt. I used to use all her dad's old t-shirts to make her shorts but he's not extra large anymore. I guess I'll have to start buying fabric for this purpose.


The one on the right is awaiting the purchase of more bra slides.

2 comments:

ffxiv said...

FFXIV Gil,Buy FFXIV Gil,FFXIV Power Leveling,FFXIV Gold,Tera Gold,APB Cash,Eudemons Eps,C9 Gold,Dragonica Gold,Last Chaos Gold,Buy FFXIV Gil,Sell all kinds of game gold, welcome to visit website Orderwww.wowlv.com.

EverythingIveGot said...

Those are great! I have both those patterns and have yet to try the otto ones. I always go to the tdk ones. And, if you like, try sewing the leg bands on in the flat. I like it MUCH MUCH MUCH better and it's faster and less fussy imo. Have you heard of sewingmamas.com? Love that site. you may too!