Sunday, February 1, 2009
Hearts and Denim bag
Omari's been asking for a bag that she can carry around. We went to Joann Fabrics and she picked out the fabrics to be used. She was very excited about me making it and was very happy with it this morning. She's pretty easy to please unlike someone else I know. I digress.
The bag was going along just fine. I made the outside and it went smoothly. I made the lining and that was fine too. But attaching the two together was a pain in the ass. The lining just doesn't seem like it was made for the outside of the bag. The pattern pieces are not the same. The outer bag end up having a U shaped bottom with a V shaped top (flares out at the top) but the lining is completely straight. So attaching the flared top to a straight lining top was not happening. I ended up pleating it a little bit in the back. Also the inner pocket is kind of weird in that it attaches into the seam allowance on the bottom. This means the pocket curves into the bottom. Just seems odd. If I made it again, I'd use the same pattern pieces as the outside to make the lining.
I wasn't able to use the loop or slider for the strap bc it was just too thick. Probably would have worked without interfacing. I also interfaced the lining pieces which was not called for. But I don't like really floppy bags. I just feel kind of "meh" about this bag but Omari likes it and finds it useful. My favorite part is the outer fabric and the 2 ribbons sewn onto the top of the front pocket.